Welcome to night 9 of the 5th annual 14 Nights of Valentine's Day Giveaway. Stop by the main Giveaway Post and enter to win a $200 Prize Pack full of decadent treats from 8 fabulous shops! Tonight we have the next movie in the Valentine Movie Marathon. Follow along daily for extra entries and the chance for a bonus 20 entries at the end of the giveaway. Test your movie knowledge and play the Guess the Movie game for even more entries. Then take a look at tonight's Featured Shop "Minou Bazaar". Enjoy and have fun!
|Vintage Memories Pendant ~ Always|
Shop Laughing Vixen Lounge and receive 10% off your order through February 28th. Use code FEBRUARY10 at checkout.
Featured Shop ~ Minou Bazaar
Minou Bazaar is owned by Meenoo from Alexandria, Virginia. With Indian inspired vintage and handcrafted jewelry her shop is filled with beautiful colors and shapes.
|Hot Pink Bollywood Chandelier Earrings|
How did you choose your shop name?
"There is a famous clothing store in India called Meena Bazaar. I wanted a twist on that name using my own name, Meenoo. Minou is a cute spelling of my real name. Also, it means “kitten” in French (as I found out freshman year in high school), and as a certified cat lady, I couldn’t resist that!"
|Miniature Art Pendant Necklace|
Why did you choose to make/sell what you do?
"I take Indian themes and design and simplify them for the modern woman to create jewelry you can wear every day. I make jewelry for women who are curious, romantic, and have a passion for other cultures, beauty, history, mythology, and art. I love using vintage Indian bits and pieces of neglected components and findings and combining them with vintage Lucite, crystals, and gemstones to create something new. I take great care and time in choosing shapes, patterns, and colors that remind me of India and South Asia and its endless source of inspiration."
"I am inspired by color, nature, history, mythology, literature, and of course the shiny and sparkly. Additionally, I enjoy upcycling vintage Indian-inspired findings into new jewelry!"
|Purple Jade Necklace|
What new designs/creations would you like to add to your shop in the future?
"I would like to add more bracelets and more luxury necklaces and earrings for special occasions. And I would like to return to making bridal jewelry for unusual brides."
|Silver Peacock Necklace|
You'll have a chance to win a $30 Gift Certificate from Minou Bazaar. Enter now on the main Giveaway Post.
|Lilac Bollywood Earrings|
Visit Minou Bazaar and use coupon code VIXEN at checkout for 15% off your order.
Follow on Facebook ~ Instagram
Since it's February, I asked the shops to share their favorite love story movies.
"I have two favorites: Roman Holiday and Bright Star. I love Roman Holiday because it's pretty much a perfect movie, Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck, and Rome are so pretty to look at, and the story is deeper than you would think from the surface. I love Bright Star because of its absolutely beautiful setting and cinematography, and the genuine emotion you feel from the actors. Oh, and because of Keats."
14 Nights of Valentine's Day Movie Marathon
Follow along with us for 2 weeks full of classic and modern love story movies. Each day there will be a review of the next movie in the marathon. Leave a comment on the post, with your opinion of the movie, and you can receive 1 entry in the giveaway. Each day you comment you can receive 1 entry. You will find the daily entries on the Rafflecopter on the main Giveaway Post.
*You may start following the marathon at any time and comment on past posts to catch up.
Comment on all 14 movies and you can receive a bonus 20 entries. On the last day of the giveaway you will find the magic phrase to unlock the bonus entries on the Rafflecopter.
*You must comment on each movie to qualify for the bonus 20 entries.
Guess the Movie Game
Each day there will be a clue to the next night's movie. Leave your guess on the Rafflecopter widget, on the main Giveaway Post, for 1 entry in the giveaway.
*Guesses must be posted the same day as their clue to receive the 1 entry.
*The Rafflecopter widget will reset to a new day 24 hours after you left your last guess.
*Please do not post guesses anywhere else on the blog or they will be deleted and not count.
Tonight's Clue ~ The British win, and loose, at love during the Christmas season.
Night 9 ~ An Affair To Remember
Tagline - On the Riviera...across the ocean...and all
over New York!
Directed by Leo McCarey (Duck Soup and The Bells of Saint Mary's) and released on July 11, 1957 by Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation (Rated G). Playboy Nicky Ferrante (Carry Grant) and night club singer Terry McKay (Deborah Kerr) have a romance while on a cruise from Europe to New York. Problem is they are both engaged to other people. They decide to make plans to meet six months later on the top floor of The Empire State Building to see if they still feel the same way about each other. Will they keep their date or will fate try to keep them apart?
This is classic movie making at it's best. Whirlwind romance, beautiful locations, unforeseen tragedy and big sappy endings. The time period is one of my favorites. The men look dapper and the women so beautiful. It's a great big slice of 50's movie magic. If you like love stories and haven't seen this one yet, go give it a try. You just don't get much better than Carry Grant!
This movie is a remake of the 1939 movie "Love Affair" with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. There was also a modern day remake in 1994 also titled "Love Affair" with Warren Beatty and Annette Bening. I have not seen either of these versions.
An Affair to Remember is currently available to stream on Netflix and Amazon Prime and is available to rent and stream on most DVD services.
Take a look at the original trailer.
Some trivia about the movie.
1. References to this movie in Nora Ephron's Sleepless in Seattle (1993), revitalized interest in the film, and led to 2 million additional sales of the 1957 classic on VHS.
2. Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant improvised many of their scenes throughout filming, and a number of lines that made it to the final cut of the film came from the actors' improvisation.
3. Ingrid Bergman was the first choice to play Terry McKay.
4. Nickie and Terry make their conditional promise to meet in six months at exactly the halfway point of the film (59-1/2 minutes into the 119-minute movie).
5. Deborah Kerr plays Terry McKay, previously played by Irene Dunne in Love Affair (1939), of which this film is a remake - both were directed by Leo McCarey. The year before this film was made, Kerr played Anna Leonowens in The King and I (1956), also a role that had previously been played by Irene Dunne in the black-and-white classic Anna and the King of Siam (1946).
6. After the confrontation with the photographer on the ship's deck, Deborah Kerr turns to Cary Grant and says, "So, I go my way [traces a straight path by her hand] and you go yours [traces a twisty path with the waive of her hand]." The same exchange takes place between Irene Dunne and Cary Grant in The Awful Truth (1937), where she says: "As we go down the life's highway, you go in your way [traces a twisty path with the waive of her hand] and I go in my way [traces a straight path]."
7. Second of three movies that paired Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant.