|Cute Monsters Charm Bracelet $45|
Purchase any item(s) from Laughing Vixen Lounge through October 31st and get 10% off your order. Use code OTOBER10 at checkout.
Attack of the 31 Nights of Halloween Movie List.
Follow along with us for a month full of classic and fun spooky movies. Each night there will be a movie review of the next movie on our Halloween Movie List. Leave a comment on each post with your opinion of that movie. On the last day you will find the magic phrase you will use to unlock the entry worth 25 entries in the giveaway. You must comment on each post.
Night 8 - Alien
Taglines - In space no one can hear you scream.
Sometimes the scariest things come from
Directed by Ridley Scott and released on May 25, 1979 by Twentieth Century Fox (Rated R). The crew of the Nostromos are awaken from hypersleep to check out a SOS signal from a nearby planet. Once they land they discover it was no SOS but a warning which has come too late! As they head back to Earth something has decided to hitch a ride with them and it doesn't like to play nice.
This is one of the greats. It's a classic horror story but set in a Sci Fi setting. The atmosphere is dark and spooky, the suspense is good and the monster is still too cool. It may seem very slow paced by today's standards but if you like a well made movie the pace is just fine. And the little face huggers? Oh, you know they're still creepy little bug things! Eeek! Where did it go?
Take a look at the original trailer
Some trivia about the movie
1. An early draft of the script had a male Ripley, making this one of at least three films where Sigourney Weaver played a character originally planned to be a man. The second is The TV Set and the third is Vantage Point.
2. Three aliens were made: a model; a suit for seven-footer Bolaji Badejo; and another suit for a trained stunt man.
3. Ridley Scott's 2003 director's cut largely came about when over 100 boxes of footage of his 1979 original were discovered in a London vault.
4. For the awakening from hypersleep segment, Veronica Cartwright and Sigourney Weaver had to wear white surgical tape over their nipples so as not to offend certain countries.
5. To get Jones the cat react fearfully to the descending Alien, a German Shepherd was placed in front of him with a screen between the two, so the cat wouldn't see it at first, and came over. The screen was then suddenly removed to make Jones stop, and start hissing.
6. The character of Ash did not appear in Dan O'Bannon's original script.
7. The original title was "Star Beast".
8. The original name for the spaceship was Snark. This was later changed to Leviathan before they finally settled for Nostromo.
9. The dead facehugger that Ash autopsies was made using fresh shellfish, four oysters and a sheep kidney to recreate the internal organs.
10. Ridley Scott reportedly said that originally he wanted a much darker ending. He planned on having the alien bite off Ripley's head in the escape shuttle, sit in her chair, and then start speaking with her voice in a message to Earth. Apparently, 20th Century Fox wasn't too pleased with such a dark ending.