Welcome to night 19 of the 3rd annual Attack of the 31 Nights of Halloween. Make sure to stop by our Giveaway Post and enter to win a $400+ Prize Pack full of frightfully good treats from 24 spooktacular shops! Tonight we have the next movie from the Halloween Movie Marathon. Follow along for an extra 10 entries in the giveaway and play the Guess The Movie game for even more. We also have the next clue in the Murder Mystery Scavenger Hunt. Gather clues for daily entries and a surprise at the end of the giveaway. But that's not all! Keep reading to find the next feature on one of our participating shops. Visit us each day during October so you do not miss any of the fun.
|Magic Potion Compact - Love Potion $15|
Purchase any item(s) from Laughing Vixen Lounge through October 31st and get 10% off your order. Use code OTOBER10 at checkout.
Scares That Care
In addition to having lots of fun we want to try and do a little good too Many of our shops have chosen a charity to fund raise for. A certain percentage or dollar amount of each sale made through the participating shops, during the giveaway, will be donated to the charity of their choice. You will find each shops details on the main Giveaway Post and on their shop feature.
Laughing Vixen Lounge will be donating $1 from each item sold during October to Support Supernatural to help A Dog's Life Rescue. The amazing gals at Support Supernatural (as in the TV show) have been fundraising for A Dog's Life Rescue since 2009 and have raised over $100,000 to help animals in need.
Murder Mystery Scavenger Hunt - Night 19
Our scavenger hunt will work like the game Clue this year. Every week you will be looking for clues to a different part of the mystery ~ Settings, Suspects, Rooms, Weapons and Escapes. They will be hidden within an item listing inside one of our participating shops. On each daily post you will be given a hint as to where the main clue is hiding. Once you find the clue go to the main Giveaway Post and find that night's entry on the Rafflecopter widget. You must leave the clue through the Rafflecopter! Do not post the clue anywhere on the blog. If you do it will be deleted and will not count. If you have any questions just ask.
Make sure to keep a list of all the clues as you collect them. On the last day of the giveaway you will be able to submit your guess of how the murder happened. Anyone who actually guesses correctly will win a Surprise Goodie Bag from Laughing Vixen Lounge. These goodie bags are made to suit your taste and usually end up being at least a $50 value! You can start the scavenger hunt game at anytime during the giveaway and go back to find past clues. Clues will stay posted through the entire giveaway.
A body is found.
This week you will be collecting clues to the rooms of the crime.
Tonight's clue is hiding in Some Kind Of Pretty.
Need a little help finding the clue? Multi-colors for your wrist.
Featured Shop - Some Kind Of Pretty
Some Kind Of Pretty is run by Catheryn from Warner Robins, Georgia. Her shop is filled with lots of colorful handmade jewelry.
|Jack-o-Lantern Earrings $5|
How did you choose your shop name?
"My shop name was purely by accident. My original name was Pretty Little Things, but that name on Etsy was already taken. So I tried typing in different words and phrases and ended up with Some Kind of Pretty! Which I love!"
|Rudolph Necklace $13|
Why did you choose to make/sell what you do?
"I have been making jewelry since I was a kid. Now that I am older, I use it as a creative outlet that also helps to relieve stress. A few years back I was getting to the point of not being able to wear everything I made...so I decided to sell it!"
|Polka Dot Earrings $5|
What inspires the designs/creations you make?
"I get inspired by just about anything. But mainly from fashion and nature. I love mixing neutrals and bright with different styles. But I try to keep many of my designs tame enough to be worn everyday."
|Grey Rose Necklace $7|
What new designs/creations would you like to add to your shop in the future?
"I would love to add more bold necklaces, which is actually what I am working on now. I am also working to introduce seasonal jewelry! I hope to be able to create pieces for every season and have them in a new section in the store."
|Birds Nest Necklace $12|
You'll have a chance to win a $10 gift certificate from Some Kind Of Pretty. Enter now on the main giveaway post.
|Wire Wrapped Glass Rings $4|
Visit Some Kind Of Pretty and use coupon code 15OFF at checkout for 15% off your order.
Since it's Halloween I asked the shops to share their favorite spooky movie.
"I love Wait Until Dark, starring Audrey Hepburn. I was in a film club in high school with my sister. This movie was going to be the movie of the month for October. I grew up with my mom always watching the old black and white movies, so when I heard about this movie being a classic film and scary (without any gross monsters or aliens!) I immediately fell in love. My mom would tell me when it was in theaters that they would turn off ALL the lights to make it that much more scary. I highly recommend it!"
Attack of the 31 Nights of Halloween Movie Marathon.
Follow along with us for a month full of classic and modern spooky movies. For something a little different this year we have decided to do themed weeks. Week 1 ~ Zombies, Week 2 ~ Werewolves and Vampires, Week 3 ~ Stephen King, Week 4 ~ Classic Double Features and Week 5 ~ Lounge Favorites.
On each daily post there will be a review of the next movie in our movie marathon. Leave a comment on each post with your opinion of that movie. On the last day of the giveaway you will find the Magic Phrase you will use to unlock the entry on the main Giveaway Post worth 10 entries. You must comment on each movie post to qualify.
Guess The Movie Game
This year we decided not to post the movie list in full so we can play a fun game instead. Each daily post will have a clue to the next night's movie. Leave your guess on the Rafflecopter widget, on the main Giveaway Post, for 1 entry in the giveaway. Please do not post guesses anywhere else on the blog or they will be deleted and not count.
**Guesses must be posted the same day as their clue to receive the entry** Rafflecopter runs on Eastern Standard Time. You can only post 1 guess per 24 hour period. So if you miss a day you can not make it up.
NEW ~ Tomorrow we start Classic Double Feature Week. 2 classic movies that have something in common. So you need to guess 2 movies and you can try to guess what their common link is. Some of these will really test your B movie/classic monster movie knowledge. Good luck!
Tonight's Clues ~
Movie #1 ~ Spying on your neighbors is not a smart idea.
Movie #2 ~ Momma's boy.
Week 3 ~ Stephen King
Night 19 - Christine
Tagline - Body by Plymouth. Soul by Satan.
She'll possess you. Then destroy you. She's
death on wheels. She's... Christine.
Once she lures you behind her
wheel...You're all hers.
Hell hath no Fury...like a 1958 Plymouth.
How do you kill something that can't
possibly be alive?
John Carpenter (In the Mouth of Madness, Vampires and Ghost of Mars) directed this film version of a Stephen King novel. Released on December 9, 1983 by Columbia Pictures (rated R). Arnie (Keith Gordon) is a loser until he meets Christine. Despite his best friend Dennis' (John Stockwell) attempts to stop him, Arnie buys the broken down Plymouth Fury and falls in love. Unfortunately, Christine is a jealous lover and Arnie's world quickly spins out of control.
This is one of my favorite movies. It's not real scary and the blood factor is very low. It's just a great little story. I know it varies greatly from the novel, but if you haven't read it then you're none the wiser. The nostalgia level is very high and probably one of the main reasons it appeals to me. Being a big fan of the 50's I love the Fury and all the great music she plays. Plus it's also a great look back at the late 70's. The cars they drive and the music they use (mostly 70's remakes of 50's songs) are all great. And John Stockwell was just so cute! Some of you might remember him from a few movies around this time (North and South miniseries, My Science Project and Top Gun). Now he directs movies and every now and then pops up in them. The movie is a bygone era on a few levels and I love it.
Arnie's transformation from nerd to obsession is very effective and interesting to watch. His ode to James Dean with the red jacket and the scene where he attacks his father are straight out of Rebel Without a Cause. My favorite part is when Arnie says to Christine "Show me" and she proceeds to fix herself. Too cool. If you have not watched it yet add it to your list!
Take a look at the original trailer
Some trivia about the movie
1. Scott Baio was considered to play Arnie Cunningham and Brooke Shields was considered for Leigh Cabot. But the film makers involved all felt the movie would be better served by casting "unknowns". (Thank goodness!!!)
2. Although over 5300 Furys were built in 1958 they have since become very rare and are now collector's items. About 13 of the 25 Furys used were smashed in the making of the movie upsetting many Plymouth lovers!
3. Arnie's nemesis, Detective Rudolph Junkins, also drives a Plymouth Fury. The car Detective Rudolph Junkins is driving when he meets Arnie in the high-school parking lot is a 1977 or 1978 Plymouth Fury - a popular police car of the late 1970s.
4. Stephen King's popularity was such at the time that the film went into production before the book was even published.
5. To simulate the car regenerating itself, hydraulic pumps were installed on the inside of some of the film's numerous Plymouth Fury "stunt doubles", a mock-up in plastic that looked more like metal on camera than actual metal as it bent and deformed. These pumps were attached to cables, which were in turn attached to the cars' bodywork and when they compressed, they would "suck" the paneling inwards. Footage of the inward crumpling body was then reversed, giving the appearance of the car spontaneously retaking form.
6. Kevin Bacon was offered the lead role but ended up choosing Footloose (1984) instead.
7. According to Bill Phillips on the DVD Documentary, the movie technically didn't have enough violence to justify an "R" rating. But they were afraid that if the movie went out with a PG rating (PG-13 didn't exist yet), then nobody would go to see the movie. So he purposely inserted the word "f#*k" and all its derivatives in order to get the "R" rating. He then commented that they were criticized at the time for their use of the word in the film.
8. As a joke, 'Alexandra Paul (I)''s twin sister, Caroline Paul, stood in for her during some scenes, most notably the ride on the bulldozer.
9. Stephen King suffered a near fatal car collision in 1999. In an example of life imitating art, King bought the van that struck him and personally beat it with a baseball bat before sending it to the junkyard to be destroyed.
10. After reading over the book, actor Keith Gordon (Arnie) and the costume designer came up with a visual way to show Arnie being possessed by Christine. As the movie progresses, Arnie begins to wear clothes that reflect the era of Christine's make. At various points, especially when Arnie is yelling at Leigh on the phone, Arnie is seen wearing button up shirts open with black t-shirts, black pants, and boots like a 1950's "greaser". When he's talking to Junkins (both times), he's wearing a leather vest over a button up shirt (a nod to western TV shows which were popular in the 50's), and he even starts to wear a red suede jacket similar to James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause (1955).
11. In the original novel, the car had four doors but was changed to a two-door model when it was realized that there never was a four-door 1958 Plymouth Fury.