Welcome to night 16 of the 3rd annual Attack of the 31 Nights of Halloween. Make sure to stop by our Giveaway Post and enter to win a $400+ Prize Pack full of frightfully good treats from 24 spooktacular shops! Tonight we have the next movie from the Halloween Movie Marathon. Follow along for an extra 10 entries in the giveaway and play the Guess The Movie game for even more. We also have the next clue in the Murder Mystery Scavenger Hunt. Gather clues for daily entries and a surprise at the end of the giveaway. But that's not all! Keep reading to find the next feature on one of our participating shops. Visit us each day during October so you do not miss any of the fun.
|Magic Potion Compact - Second-Sight Potion $15|
Purchase any item(s) from Laughing Vixen Lounge through October 31st and get 10% off your order. Use code OTOBER10 at checkout.
Scares That Care
In addition to having lots of fun we want to try and do a little good too Many of our shops have chosen a charity to fund raise for. A certain percentage or dollar amount of each sale made through the participating shops, during the giveaway, will be donated to the charity of their choice. You will find each shops details on the main Giveaway Post and on their shop feature.
Laughing Vixen Lounge will be donating $1 from each item sold during October to Support Supernatural to help A Dog's Life Rescue. The amazing gals at Support Supernatural (as in the TV show) have been fundraising for A Dog's Life Rescue since 2009 and have raised over $100,000 to help animals in need.
Murder Mystery Scavenger Hunt - Night 16
Our scavenger hunt will work like the game Clue this year. Every week you will be looking for clues to a different part of the mystery ~ Settings, Suspects, Rooms, Weapons and Escapes. They will be hidden within an item listing inside one of our participating shops. On each daily post you will be given a hint as to where the main clue is hiding. Once you find the clue go to the main Giveaway Post and find that night's entry on the Rafflecopter widget. You must leave the clue through the Rafflecopter! Do not post the clue anywhere on the blog. If you do it will be deleted and will not count. If you have any questions just ask.
Make sure to keep a list of all the clues as you collect them. On the last day of the giveaway you will be able to submit your guess of how the murder happened. Anyone who actually guesses correctly will win a Surprise Goodie Bag from Laughing Vixen Lounge. These goodie bags are made to suit your taste and usually end up being at least a $50 value! You can start the scavenger hunt game at anytime during the giveaway and go back to find past clues. Clues will stay posted through the entire giveaway.
A body is found.
This week you will be collecting clues to the rooms of the crime.
Tonight's clue is hiding in Miss Bohemia.
Need a little help finding the clue? One of the original Universal Monsters.
Featured Shop - Hat Creek Creations
Hat Creek Creations is run by Meg from Louisiana. Her shop is filled with lots of great hand-painted items.
|Halloween Ornament Set $35|
How did you choose your shop name?
"Like the movie :Lonesome Dove" the creek that runs in front of our home is called "Hat Creek". And for fans of the movie, YES, I do have a sign in my yard that says "We don't rent pigs" :)"
|Cookies for Santa Personalized Plate $19.99|
Why did you choose to make/sell what you do?
"I have always enjoyed painting as a creative release and just a simple way to relax. When I ran out of friends and relatives to give my items away to I decided to try and sell them."
|To Teach Is To Touch A Heart Mug $12.50|
What inspires the designs/creations you make?
"Much of my inspiration comes from the person I am creating for. I really enjoy painting sorority and bridesmaid glasses. The glasses that are the most fun to make are the ones where the customer describes the recipient. For example, I painted glasses for a group of bridesmaids with each personality in mind. The themes of the different glasses ranged from travel and beach to horror movies and tattoos."
|Hand Painted Halloween Pitcher $20|
What new designs/creations would you like to add to your shop in the future?
"I am currently focusing on some new Christmas items and my caricature glasses."
|Cookies for Santa Plate $10|
"My shop is very much a work in progress right now. We took an old school bus and gutted the insides. My husband is a cabinet maker so he built shelves and cabinets and a worktable for me. We installed lights and an air conditioner, as you can see, in the back window. Before we got everything together, a huge storm uprooted a tree that fell across the top of the bus. It looks a lot worse than it is, the top is not even dented. We have removed the tree but I have not completely moved into the bus. My husband is looking forward to the day that I do so that we can eat at our kitchen table without moving the painting projects first."
Meg is a Cardio-Vascular Intensive Care Nurse who is also a certified CPR instructor, and a certified Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor (for medical professionals) who has multiple family members with heart disease. Dirty Dishes will be donating 20% of all October sales to the American Heart Association.
You'll have a chance to win a $20 gift certificate from Hat Creek Creations. Enter now on the main giveaway post.
|Hibiscus Martini Glass $15|
Visit Hat Creek Creations on Etsy.
Since it's Halloween I asked the shops to share their favorite spooky movie.
"Seven - This is a suspenseful movie about a serial killer who kills people committing the seven deadly sins of gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, pride, lust, and envy. I liked this movie because in it the detective found clues to the next murder at each crime scene. I remember thinking that if this were really going on, I'd have to go on a diet, exercise and keep my mouth shut or I'd be next on the list."
Attack of the 31 Nights of Halloween Movie Marathon.
Follow along with us for a month full of classic and modern spooky movies. For something a little different this year we have decided to do themed weeks. Week 1 ~ Zombies, Week 2 ~ Werewolves and Vampires, Week 3 ~ Stephen King, Week 4 ~ Classic Double Features and Week 5 ~ Lounge Favorites.
On each daily post there will be a review of the next movie in our movie marathon. Leave a comment on each post with your opinion of that movie. On the last day of the giveaway you will find the Magic Phrase you will use to unlock the entry on the main Giveaway Post worth 10 entries. You must comment on each movie post to qualify.
Guess The Movie Game
This year we decided not to post the movie list in full so we can play a fun game instead. Each daily post will have a clue to the next night's movie. Leave your guess on the Rafflecopter widget, on the main Giveaway Post, for 1 entry in the giveaway. Please do not post guesses anywhere else on the blog or they will be deleted and not count.
**Guesses must be posted the same day as their clue to receive the entry** Rafflecopter runs on Eastern Standard Time. You can only post 1 guess per 24 hour period. So if you miss a day you can not make it up.
Tonight's Clue ~ 217 (novel) 237 (movie)
Week 3 ~ Stephen King
Night 16 - Carrie
Tagline - A chilling blend of AMERICAN GRAFFITI
If You've Got A Taste For Terror... Take
Carrie To The Prom.
If only they knew she had the power.
Directed by Brian De Palma (Dressed to Kill and Mission to Mars) and released on November 3, 1976 by United Artists (Rated R). Carrie (Sissy Spacek) is a shy teen who has no friends. The other girls play horrible jokes on her and tease her to no end. Sue (Amy Irving) feels sorry for for Carrie and convinces her boyfriend Tommy (William Katt) to take Carrie to the prom. Carrie is happy and finally feels like she is part of the crowd. Unfortunately not everyone is happy to have her there and a cruel joke begins a night of terror!
This movie is just creepy. Carrie's house with all the creepy religious statues that look not quite right. Oh yeah, and that mother! No wonder Carrie had issues. Plus a young John Travolta, Sissy Spacek and Amy Irving. It's a good cast and it's based on a good Stephen King book. Oh, don't forget the pig's blood. Eeeew! The ending really is just classic movie imagery.
Take a look at the original trailer
Some trivia about the movie.
1. Sissy Spacek wasn't considered for the role of Carrie until her husband, art director Jack Fisk, convinced director Brian De Palma to allow her to audition. Until that, De Palma was wedded to the idea of Amy Irving playing Carrie; when Spacek got the part instead, De Palma gave Irving the smaller role of Sue.
2. Betty Buckley, who plays the gym teacher in the film, went on to star as Carrie's mother in the ill-fated Pitchford/Gore musical version of Carrie. The song "When There's No One" from the show is included on Buckley's Sterling records release "Children Will Listen". No official cast album exists, although several unofficial recordings have been made.
3. The dizzying camera shot during the prom scene was achieved by placing William Katt and Sissy Spacek on a platform that was spinning in one direction, while the camera was being dollied in the opposite direction.
4. The name of the high school is Bates High, a reference to Norman Bates from Psycho. In addition, the four note violin theme from Psycho is used over and over in the film.
5. This was the first Stephen King novel adapted into a movie.
6. John Travolta drives a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 hardtop in this film, and in Pulp Fiction, he drove a 1964 Chevelle Malibu convertible.
7. Nancy Allen claims that she never realized that her character was going to be so evil until she saw the finished film, she thought that she and John Travolta were playing such self-centered, bickering morons that they were there for comic relief. Piper Laurie also thought that the character of Margaret White was so over the top that the film had to be a comedy.
8. In Carrie's house, the statue of a religious figure shot with arrows represents St. Sebastian. It is not a crucifix and does not represent Jesus Christ.
9. Amy Irving's feature film debut.
10. Amy Irving admits that she originally hated the script when she first received it. After seeing the finished film, she thought it was simply 'magic' and loved it.
11. The ring that Amy Irving wears throughout the movie was a gift to her from Stephen King the author of the book the film is based on.
12. Screenwriter Lawrence D. Cohen went on to collaborate with composer Michael Gore and lyricist Dean Pitchford and create "Carrie: The Musical", which debuted with the Royal Shakespeare Company, directed by Terry Hands and choreographed by Debbie Allen in Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom in 1988. Later that same year, the production was transferred to Broadway, where Betty Buckley replaced Barbara Cook as Margaret White. The Broadway run only lasted five performances, and it is considered by many to be the most spectacular flop in Broadway history. However, Linzi Hateley, who played the title role in her Broadway debut, won a Theatre World Award for her performance.
13. According to the audio commentary on the DVD, Carrie is a composite of two girls Stephen King knew, though only one of them was a classmate of his. Prior to the publication of Carrie, his first published novel, King had been an English teacher. The second girl who inspired Carrie was one of his students.