Sunday, January 26, 2014

Fear Fridays ~ Sister's Scary Pick!



What could be scarier than being on vacation and letting your sister choose the Fear Friday Film?!  Especially when she is completely clueless about all things Horror.....

Hello and welcome back to another Fear Friday here at Laughing Vixen Lounge.  I'm happy to fill in and today's pick is not my typical movie view.  I do admit to being short on "spooky" film knowledge.  So my selection is one that actually scared me more after the movie than during it.  Being the helpful type of fool who is quick to come to another's aid, even I wouldn't help load furniture into a stranger's van.....at night.....getting in first!

Every Friday at the Laughing Vixen Lounge Blog is Fear Friday. Fear Fridays are a celebration of all films spooky. Horror is a very broad genre and the Lounge loves it all. Each Friday you will find a review of a different film. These can range from Classic Horror (black and white and cheesy), Thrillers (suspense, jumps and a good mystery), outright Horror (chop chop, slash slash, die die) and anything else in between.

So pop some popcorn, kill the lights and enjoy tonight's selection. And please, share your comments on the film. Bad or good let me know what you thought of it. And now, my little ghouls and dolls, the Laughing Vixen Lounge Blog is proud to present this week's film.


Fear Friday ~ The Silence of the Lambs




From the Thomas Harris novel, this 1991 film by director Jonathan Demme is creepy on more than one level. Unlike the blood spurting gore of many "horror" movies, this "thriller" spells more horror for me in that some scenes seem possible outside the cinema. I had figured the lower rank of this film on a few Top 100 may have been due to that lack of spurting red and the thriller vs horror genre. Then again there is the gore of Lecter's escape....

So what we have is a serial killer needed to help catch a serial killer. So of course bring in the FBI cadet! We don't want to waste the time of a seasoned veteran. Anthony Hopkins does a fine job of being scary and creepy while putting on a cultured air. Jodie Foster does well looking nervous and scared.  And seriously, a guy sewing a skin suit? Ewww. And wearing it? Double ewwww!

The film earned 5 Academy Awards and many other prizes. Most critics raved (except that gal from the Trib) and it has a place in the top 10 of a few "Horror" lists.  The reason I agree that it deserves the praise is that the film does most of it's scary, creepy stuff in your head.  Yep, a psychological scare is worth 10 arterial fountains for me!

So weigh in with your thoughts!  I'll admit to being a horror newb so feel free to educate me : )

On a tangent:  The movie Sleeping with the Enemy came out the same year and I had a bad habit of referring to my pick as "Sleeping with the Lambs"....doh!

Trivia bit:  Chris Isaak makes a cameo as the SWAT Commander.


1 comment:

  1. I've seen this movie a couple of times. VERY creepy in an "in your head" way.
    Of course, my hubby likes to quote the Fava beans line. A la Hopkins. :P

    ReplyDelete