Thursday, January 30, 2014

Fear Friday ~ "Micro changes in air density, my ass."


Soooo, the horror newb is still filling in here at Laughing Vixen Lounge!  Today I chose a movie that is closer to my science fiction love.  Though I do want you all to know I did try to do my homework for this week and started out re-watching American Psycho.  As it had been a long time since I've seen it, it came as a surprise to me that I don't think this is a horror movie.  Whether or not you like Huey Lewis and the News, I kept thinking it was closer to dark comedy.  Hard not to laugh with all that 80s stuff going on!  Alas, I fell back on a staple of scariness. And yes, it is like Jaws.....but in space!

Every Friday at the Laughing Vixen Lounge Blog is Fear Friday. Fear Fridays are a celebration of all films spooky. Horror is a very broad genre and the Lounge loves it all. Each Friday you will find a review of a different film. These can range from Classic Horror (black and white and cheesy), Thrillers (suspense, jumps and a good mystery), outright Horror (chop chop, slash slash, die die) and anything else in between.

So pop some popcorn, kill the lights and enjoy tonight's selection. And please, share your comments on the film. Bad or good let me know what you thought of it. And now, my little ghouls and dolls, the Laughing Vixen Lounge Blog is proud to present this week's film.


Fear Friday ~ Alien


Tag line:  In space no one can hear you scream

This 1979 film uses a psychological aspect as well as great special effects (awarded an Oscar for them) to scare the pants of viewers.  This alien monster is clearly the scariest being anyone in Hollywood has ever come up with because you see so many aspects of it in horror and sci-fi films in the decades to follow.

Briefly,
  • The crew of the deep space towing vessel Nostromo are awaken from hypersleep to investigate a strange signal from a nearby planet. While investigating the signal, they discover it was intended as a warning, and not an SOS.
    - Written by Colin Tinto
As they say, "no good deed goes unpunished".  Go to help an sos and get your face sucked by an alien!  And then find out it was only using you....

Director Ridley Scott builds great tension between crew members and the hunt for the alien.  Though who is hunted and hunter always makes for good suspense.

Trivia bit:  The original design for the Alien by H.R. Giger had eyes, which were eliminated to make the creature look even more menacing.

I think it worked!


No comments:

Post a Comment