Tonight's Featured Items - "Vampires Make Better Boyfriends" and "I Heart Vampires" Silver Pendants.
|Vampires Make Better Boyfriends Silver Pendant $12|
|I Heart Vampires Silver Pendant $12|
Attack of the 31 Nights of Halloween GIANT Giveaway Shop Feature - Punkrock Pinup
Punkrock Pinup is run by Katherine who lives and works in Buffalo, NY. The first item from her shop that caught my eye was this great black and lime green bat purse.
So where does the name Punkrock Pinup come from? Katherine tells us "My shop name came pretty naturally out of my love for music and the countercultures that spring from the different music forms. Sometimes I feel that I was born in the wrong era, but when else would I be able to enjoy Punk, Ska, Oi, Reggae, Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Swing, Big Band Music, and so many amazing artists from the 40's- today".
Her shop is full of great accessories. I asked her what inspires her designs. "Music is my main inspiration, and is usually blasting throughout the house while I'm crafting".
Why did she decide to open her shop and make the great designs that she does? "I finally decided to start my shop after years of sewing and crafting for myself, while making items for friends and family along the way. It's really just a hobby at this point but I would love it if I could translate my love of creating into a career. I started creating purses for myself when I was about 7, sewing and crocheting my own designs. I didn't get into jewelry making until recently. I really just pick up on anything I find interesting or different and make a sincere attempt at trying new methods and designs whenever possible".
In the spirit of the season I had to ask the shops what their favorite horror film is. Katherine told me "I love horror movies, usually B Horror captures my heart, but give me a good Vampire or Werewolf movie any day. My all time favorite has to be Ginger Snaps, for sentimental reasons".
A big thanks to Katherine and Punkrock Pinup for joining in the giveaway. Take a moment to peruse her shop and see at what you might just win.
Now for tonight's movie. Make sure to leave a comment below. Anyone who leaves a comment, with their opinion of the movie, for each of the 31 movies will get an extra 10 entries in our GIANT Giveaway.
Night 2 - The Lost Boys
Taglines - Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow
old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire.
Being wild is in their Blood.
Directed by Joel Schumacher (St Elmo's Fire and Flatliners) and release on July 13, 1987 by Warner Brothers Pictures (rated R). Sam (Corey Haim) and Michael (Jason Patric) move to the town of Santa Carla, CA with their mom to start a new life. Unfortunately Santa Carla is home to a hip gang of Vampires (Kiefer Sutherland). Michael has his eye on the Vampire girl (Jamie Gertz) but the gang has their eyes on him. Will Sam be able to save him with the help of the fierce Frog Brothers (Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander) or will Michael be doomed to wear black leather and a mullet for all of eternity?
This movie came out when I was in high school and we all thought it was the greatest thing ever! I'm serious, we were fanatic about this movie. Wearing jackets with the logo on the back? That's right. Calling each other by our favorite character's name? Oh yeah. And no, I won't tell you who I was. Ha!
It was the Twilight of my generation. Except it was a true outright Vampire movie. They roamed at night, killed people, terrorized the locals and then returned to their cave by the sea to hang by their creepy little bat toes. I saw it not too long ago and it's still a fun watch. Yes, there are things that are a bit dated and therefore slightly cheesy, but it is always a blast from the past.
Some trivia about the movie...
1. The title of the film is a reference to the companions of Peter Pan, who remained forever young.
2. The original screenplay written by Janice Fischer and James Jeremias was originally about a bunch of "Goonie-type 5th-6th grade kid vampires", with the Frog Brothers being "chubby 8 year old cub scouts", and Star being a boy instead of a love interest. Joel Schumacher hated that idea and told the producers he would only sign on if he could change them to teenagers, as he thought it would be more much sexier and interesting.
3. This movie invented the phrase "vamp out", which has passed into common usage on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
4. Kiefer Sutherland was only meant to wear the black gloves he wears as David when riding the motorbike. However, while messing around on the bike behind-the-scenes, he fell off, breaking his arm so he had to wear the gloves through the whole movie to cover his cast.
5. The names of the Frog brothers, Edgar and Alan, are a reference to Edgar Allan Poe, the well-known writer of horror fiction.
6. Characters in the movie say the name 'Michael' approximately 118 times.
7. This was Corey Haim and Corey Feldman's first film together, which marked the start of a popular 80s trend "The Two Corey's" in which Corey Feldman and Corey Haim starred together in a number of teenage films.
To read a few interesting trivia facts that have to do with how the movie was originally scripted to end go here and scroll to the bottom where the spoiler alert is.