Friday, January 17, 2014

Fear Friday ~ And They Do Not Mean Trivial Pursuit!!!


Is is Friday again??? Welcome back to another Fear Friday here at Laughing Vixen Lounge. January's films are all "new to me" selections I have just watched. This week comes a tale about a dinner party that no one wants an invitation to!!! While I can not imagine many people in real life would ever be stupid enough to accept this invitation but, in the movies, if we did not have stupid characters we would not have horror films. Enjoy!

Every Friday at the Laughing Vixen Lounge Blog is Fear Friday. Fear Fridays are a celebration of all films spooky. Horror is a very broad genre and the Lounge loves it all. Each Friday you will find a review of a different film. These can range from Classic Horror (black and white and cheesy), Thrillers (suspense, jumps and a good mystery), outright Horror (chop chop, slash slash, die die) and anything else in between.

So pop some popcorn, kill the lights and enjoy tonight's selection. And please, share your comments on the film. Bad or good let me know what you thought of it. And now, my little ghouls and dolls, the Laughing Vixen Lounge Blog is proud to present this week's film.


Fear Friday ~ Would You Rather



Tagline - A Dinner To Die For.
              Tell yourself it's just a game.


Directed by David Guy Levy and released on February 8th, 2013 by IFC Films (Not Rated). Iris (Brittany Snow) is desperate to find a way to help her dying brother so she accepts an invitation to a dinner where one person will have all their worries taken care of. All she has to do is be the winner of the game they will play. Hmmm... I'm thinking our leading lady has never seen a horror film before!

Is this a great movie? No. Is it better than I expected it would be? Surprising, yes. Again, with this movie, we are in very familiar territory. A group of strangers are invited to a large mansion for dinner. I am reminded of House on Haunted Hill or Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. Very quickly though this story moves to Saw at the dinner table. As the name implies, the game the guests are forced to play is a very wicked game of Would You Rather. Making the characters choose between two not so pleasant tasks they can preform.

Yes, I have pretty had my fill of these "make a choice" movies since Saw made them so popular but I found this one entertaining enough to keep watching. Maybe it was the train wreck - can not look away effect - but it ended up being an interesting watch. It is not for the faint of heart, or stomach, as there are some uncomfortable scenes. One in praticular that I could not watch. It was bad enough just knowing what was happening.

It may not be the most original movie ever made but I think it was worth the watch. I found this film on HBO's on demand movies but it looks like it is also currently available on DVD from Netflix.



Take a look at the original trailer.



Sorry, no trivia on this one.

2 comments:

  1. I watched this a few days ago. Though, it isn't necessarily a good movie, it is definitely not the worst I've seen. It manages to be entertaining despite some obvious flaws. There are definitely some cringe worthy moments. I totally agree with your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the "eye" scene was too much for me. I'll watch a lot but that just makes me woozy!!!
      8)

      Delete